Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Kitchen Sink Bean Soup!

Yesterday I had to train a client at 6am in the morning and work from 6pm to 10pm. It makes it a really long hard day and I never feel like making dinner when I get home but I am always starved. Normally Brent will cook something but yesterday I thought I would make soup in the afternoon from all of our CSA veggies (we get a new load today!) and a bag of Mayacoba beans that I received as a gift from Mary B! I had never heard of Mayacoba beans but they taste like a pinto bean and are normally used in latin american cooking. They made a great addition to my soup! :)
I started out soaking the beans and because I didn't have all night, I covered the beans with 3 times as much water by volume and brought them to a boil, cooked them at med-high for 2 minutes and then let them soak in that water for 1 hr.
Soaking Beans

While the beans were soaking I chopped up 3 cloves of garlic, an onion, 1/2 a head of green cabbage, 1/4 of a head of purple cabbage and shelled about 1 lb of english peas.
After the beans were done I sauteed the onion and garlic (2 Super Cancer Fighting Foods!) in 1Tbl of olive oil, sea salt and pepper for 5 minutes. 
Next I added all the other veggies and sauteed them together for about 6 minutes along with a can of diced tomatoes, 3/4Tbl of cayenne pepper and 1Tbl of thyme. 
Lastly, I threw in 4 cups (a carton) of veggie stock, a cup of water and 2TBL of nutritional yeast and brought the whole pot to a boil. I then reduced it to a simmer and cooked it on low heat for 1 1/2 hours.


Yum! It was great to have dinner waiting for me when I got home!



No comments:

Post a Comment