So instead of the traditional pepper stuffing of rice I used quinoa to up the protein value.
Quinoa, what is it??? Its a delicious grain that has a nutty flavor and somewhat of a crunchier texture than rice or pasta. It is known for its high protein content and fiber but it also has a lot of magnesium and iron. I had issues with anemia about 9 years ago and ever since I have been a vegetarian those problems of being turned away when donating blood have gone to the wayside! Eat more Quinoa!
To Cook Quinoa:
- Boil 1 1/4 cup water
- Add 1 cup Quinoa and 1/2 cup raisins
- Reduce to simmer for 15 minutes
- Take off heat and let sit for 5 minutes
In a Separate pan:
- Heat pan on medium and give a quick spray with canola based cooking spray
- Saute 2 green onions and a 1 Tbl of garlic - about 3 minutes
- Add 2 to 3 cups of Greens (any greens will do) ca
- Add 1 Tbl of cumin, 1/2 Tbl of coriander, pinch of salt and pepper
- If you want some heat add 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Saute till tender and if you need some liquid add a few splashes of veggie stock! SAVES Calories!
- Add Quinoa mixture into the pan, toss to incorporate and get stuffing!
Heat Peppers for a 4 minutes in 375 degree oven to make tender and add stuffing.
Cook for 20 minutes covered, remove cover and cook for 15 more minutes.
Directions for Brent so I can go back to work!